Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dressup Statues

Brussels, Belgium

vs.

Waiting For The Interurban
Seattle, Washington USA



I was hoping to do a little sight-seeing in Brussels as I waiting to catch my plane to Munich, but since I don't know how the public transportation system works (nor do I speak enough French to feel comfortable navigating on my own), I've decided to head straight to the airport. What I will have missed in Brussels is the Manneken-Pis statue and fountain. Seattle has the Waiting For The Interurban dress up statue, Brussels has the Manneken-Pis (ok, not really in the same league). I'll be sad to miss the little man, but I'll have to come back to see him another time.

"Brussels has its silliness, too. Its mascot is the Manneken-Pis, a statue/fountain of a little boy who lives up to his name. You'll find him three blocks off the Grand Place, possibly wearing some clever outfit. By tradition, costumes are sent to Brussels from around the world. Cases full of these are on display in the City Museum on the Grand Place. For the story behind this little squirt, check a postcard stand."

No comments: